|Please note that forked-daapd cannot currently play m4a files on low-power devices - see below|
This page is intented for people who want to run an itunes server on their OpenWrt device, controlling it via Apple Remote on iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad or TunesRemote+ on Android. You’ll need a device with good cpu/memory. The device will probably also need attached USB storage. Your USB storage must have your music library, and it must also be set up so that custom packages will be installed on it. See extroot for more information about that.
OpenWrt currently offers the package mt-daapd, which is also an iTunes server, but which doesn’t support Remote and which is unmaintained. forked-daapd is a rewrite by Julian Blache. Here’s how to get it up and running.
- Edit /etc/opkg.conf and add:
src/gz forked-daapd http://www.gyfgafguf.dk/openwrt/packages/ar71xx
opkg update opkg install forked-daapd
- Download Makefiles etc. here: http://www.gyfgafguf.dk/openwrt/src/source.tar.gz
Edit /etc/forked-daapd.conf. Set the path to your music library and set the path to the forked-daapd database. Start the server by running "/etc/init.d/forked-daapd start”. The server should now start scanning your library. You can check /var/log/forked-daapd.log if you want to see what is going on. To stop forked-daapd run “/etc/init.d/forked-daapd stop”. If the server is not starting make sure avahi-daemon and dbus are running.
More instructions, like how to get Remote working, are available in this readme.
- weak devices (like my WNDR3700) don't have enough CPU to transcode m4a files (probably a ffmpeg-problem)
- libunistring is built without libiconv-full, which means UTF8-conversions don’t really work.
- forked-daapd will crash if your music library is on a FAT-partition which is not mounted with the correct codepage.
This is third-party software, use at own risk. If you have trouble with these packages, or if you can contribute, please discuss in this thread: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=30302
inbox/howto/forked-daapd.txt · Last modified: 2013/08/19 12:47 by ejurgensen