The HG553 is an adsl wifi router mainly distributed by Vodafone to their customers.
|Version/Model||Launch Date||S/N||OpenWrt Version Supported||Model Specific Notes|
|v1||09/2009||301880809123343||Attitude Adjustment (12.09)||no DSL, no VoIP, LEDs need manual config|
|"Vodafone Home Gateway" (Spain)||?||303710905017230, 303710906046600||Attitude Adjustment (12.09)||boots to RED power light, YET works great (LAN/Wifi DHCP), no DSL, no VoIP, LEDs need manual config|
NOTE: For anything not included in model specific notes, or where a short comment couldn't be included, see the notes.
|BCM6358||300 MHz||64MiB||16MiB||4x1 (100Mb/s)||2 x USB2.0||YES||YES|
Please read flash.layout for some insights.
- Download openwrt-HW553-squashfs-cfe.bin
- Turn on the system while holding the reset for 30 sec.
- connect via LAN with a manual setup of your workstation of 192.168.1.2 etc. (no DHCP, no LAN LED on the box)
- Browse to http://192.168.1.1
- Upload .bin file to router
- Wait for it to reboot (you'll see a red power LED)
- Telnet to 192.168.1.1 and set a root password, or browse to http://192.168.1.1 and set the password there…
- Connect the serial TTL cable to send commands to CFE for loading the firmware via tftp.
- Start a TFTP server in your PC. Copy the openwrt-HW553-squashfs-cfe.bin firmware to the server.
- Set the IP at your pc to 192.168.1.35 (or any compatible), and connect the ethernet cable to the router.
This is a session of flashing via TFTP:
If you have already installed OpenWrt and like to reflash for e.g. upgrading to a new OpenWrt version you can upgrade using the mtd command line tool. It is important that you put the firmware image into the ramdisk (/tmp) before you start flashing.
- Browse to http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci/mini/system/upgrade/ LuCI Upgrade URL
- Upload image file for sysupgrade to LuCI
- Wait for reboot
- Login as root via SSH on 192.168.1.1
- Use the following commands to upgrade.
cd /tmp/ wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/brcm63xx/openwrt-HW553-squashfs-cfe.bin sysupgrade /tmp/openwrt-HW553-squashfs-cfe.bin
- If sysupgrade does not support this router, use the following commands.
cd /tmp/ wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/brcm63xx/openwrt-HW553-squashfs-cfe.bin mtd write /tmp/openwrt-HW553-squashfs-cfe.bin linux && reboot
→ Basic configuration After flashing, proceed with this.
Set up your Internet connection, configure wireless, configure USB port, etc.
The default network configuration is:
|Interface Name||Description||Default configuration|
|br-lan||LAN & WiFi||192.168.1.1/24|
|vlan0 (eth0.0)||LAN ports (1 to 4)||None|
|vlan1 (eth0.1)||WAN port||DHCP|
Numbers 0-3 are Ports 1-4 as labeled on the unit, number 4 is the Internet (WAN) on the unit, 5 is the internal connection to the router itself. Don't be fooled: Port 1 on the unit is number 3 when configuring VLANs. vlan0 = eth0.0, vlan1 = eth0.1 and so on.
→ hardware.button on howto use and configure the hardware button(s).
|CPU/Speed||BMIPS4350 V1.0 / 300 Mhz BMIPS Dual Core|
|Flash size:||16 MiB|
|Wireless:||Broadcom 4318 802.11b/g|
|Ethernet:||Broadcom BCM5325 w/ vlan support swconfig|
Photo of front of the casing
Photo of back of the casing
Note: This will void your warranty!
- To remove the cover do a/b/c
Photo of PCB
CPU (1F) USB header (2F) flash (5F) ethernet switch (8F) ram (3F) circuit for VoIP Wifi antenna (6F) 5 pins headers, soldered, serial (4F) 10 pins for JTAG (1B) buffer chip (2B).
→ port.serial general information about the serial port, serial port cable, etc.
How to connect to the Serial Port of this specific device:
UART pinout (pin 5 near capacitor)
→ port.jtag general information about the JTAG port, JTAG cable, etc.
How to connect to the JTAG Port of this specific device:
10 GND 9 TDI
8 (nTRST??) 7 (??)
6 (nSRTT??) 5 TMS
4 Vcc 3 TDO
2 GND 1 TCK
- you could read about bootloader in general
- as a beginner, you really should inform yourself about soldering in general and then obtain some practical experience!
Please Follow up Support for Huawei HG553 https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=30947
You can find source code in this page of the huawei forum: http://forum.huawei.com/jive4/thread.jspa?forumID=123&threadID=324322&messageID=408081#408081
Integration of 2,5" hard disk in the box [ ITALIAN ] LINK
For some Help with the Tags, please have a look here: tags
toh/huawei/hg553.txt · Last modified: 2013/05/05 12:20 by danitool